Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Step Four - Getting the pee in the Potty

On the second day, I started to tell Millie to "stop" when she was peeing in her underwear. And say "wait, wait" as I pulled down her wet underwear and put her on the potty. I would then say "Peepees go in the potty Millie, not in your underwear".

At first she wouldn't stop peeing, but after a couple of tries she would. She still wouldn't put any pee in the potty.

On the second day, I tried to "catch" a pee. This means, I started to put her on for potty time more often when I knew she had to go. It didn't work until day 3, but we did eventually catch one. I found just before she would pee, she would get very upset...then she would pee. I kept her on the potty even if she was upset (but only for a maximum of 2 minutes) and eventually caught a pee.

HERE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: When we finally had a pee in the potty, we all acted like we had just been told we had won a million dollars. We acted more excited than we had ever shown to Millie ever before. We hugged her, danced with her, tickled her and made her feel very important. We showed her how we took her peepee to the big potty (toilet) and dumped it. It was quiet the event. The new stickers then came out. Millie was aloud to pick one out and stick it to her potty. She was very happy.

For Poos, Millie didn't do one in the potty for 2 weeks. Everytime she would poo, we would take the dirty underwear and say in a sad voice "Oh, Millie...poopoos go in the potty, not in your underwear". We would then dump the poo into the potty and in a slightly more content voice say "They we go. That is where poopoo go. Next time you put the poopoo in the potty". We would then go flush the poo in the big potty and say goodbye to it. No big deal, no big party.

Step Five - Get Smart about it

3 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog and have been looking for days for someone who felt the same way....why wait so long to potty train?! I am delighted to read your post. I have been using the same method with my 18 month old daughter. After 3 days now I was feeling frustrated because we didn't seem to make much progress. To know your daughter took 5 days to pee in the toilet is SUCH a relief! I have so many people around me questioning my decision to potty train that it causes me to second guess myself and wonder if I made a mistake. having read your blog I feel SOOOOO much better about continuing! I am going to try some of your ideas. I am mostly frustrated with myself for not catching her, she seems to always pee in-between the timer and never when I put her on the potty. Im going to keep going, though. Tank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are still working on training, you may find that introducing the ASL sign for 'potty/toilet' helps! My daughter has been using it since 14 months to tell me when she has to go and has developed really great bowel/bladder control and awareness. She is 17 months now and I am planning on following a similar method to train her in the next few weeks.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Fym1W5XuA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this blog. I was feeling pretty frustrated today - Day 3. Just caught a pee in the potty today after trying and trying. She is 16 mos old.

    We do signing as well, and she knows all the signs for Potty, Pee pee and Poo poo, but I dont think she gets the concept of telling me she has to go yet. I did a little training with a signing program when she was 12 mos but laid off because I felt she was resisting and I didnt want to push. I am going to keep going and try some of yoour suggestions. I started up again because she wont keep her diapers on.

    ReplyDelete